Friday 5 October 2012

Tony's singular adventures - Canonbury and back again.

Well me dears here we are with another 'Tony's singular adventures' I have not done one since May, in fact this one is really only half an adventure.

My journey actually started at Holloway road tube station as my plan  was to visit Canonbury tower. Mission accomplished with lots of photos in the bag I headed home roughly following the course of the New River.

I had, had a fab morning and was feeling rather pleased with my self until some how managed to delete half the photos from my camera, including all the pics of the tower. I am still really miffed with myself but hey ho, here are the remains of the day.


We start with the New River Walk: a lovely peaceful little park which runs along a short stretch of the river itself. This was in fact a leat constructed in 1613 by Sir Hugh Myddelton to bring fresh drinking water to London. There is a statue of him on Islington Green (please don't say you thought it was Shakespeare.).



I shall not dwell on the history of the New River as it's a massive subject on its own. There is a fascinating book on the subject by Robert Ward which is well worth the read . click -  "London's New River" 



Bright but low sunshine made for a relaxing wander through the garden, but not such good light for photos.




























I recommend making the effort to visit if you are in the area.


Leaving Canonbury behind it was not long before I found myself at Newington Green.

Now then me dears you may remember that I have in fact covered this area before in
  - click' Tony's singular adventures - To Newington Green '
so again I won't go into detail other than  a few points I didn't cover and to record a rather lovely Autumnal walk.


Numbers 52-55 Newington Green - London's oldest surviving brick terrace, dated 1658








The China Inland Mission:


The beginning of Green Lanes:

I rather like this one - it's part of the old Stoke Newington Town Hall:


Hard to believe you're in London, let alone practically in N1...



Clissold House:


...and back again on the New River:






From Clissold Park, it was back up Green Lanes to Harringay and home.
I just managed to take this from the top deck of the 341 as it lurched and bumped it way over the New River again just past Finsbury Park:





ttfn

5 comments:

  1. The New River Walk park is a marvellous discovery! I must go there with you sometime... Jx

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely blog and such good photos too. We're always really impressed with the quality of your camera - photo deleting notwithstanding! And who would have known that Jonathan was a Rector. Snigger ;-))

    ReplyDelete
  3. How kind. Thank you for commenting Lesley

    ReplyDelete